In Her Shoes (Youth) is an employment program for female identifying, transgender and non-binary youth who are experiencing significant barriers to securing employment. In this program, participants receive technical training and work experience in the YW Kitchener-Waterloo bricks & clicks social enterprise store- In Her Shoes, where they sell new and used accessories and shoes. Participants will earning minimum wage, equivalent to 30 hours/week.
Participants will receive technical skills training in digital literacy, computers, operating systems and software, customer service and support, online business and e-commerce, retail work, point of sale systems and cash handling, marketing and photography. They will also receive support to develop life skills and employment skills, build their resume, and to secure employment upon graduation from the program in a related job area that interests them.
- Female identified, transgender, or non-binary youth between the ages of 15-30;
- A Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Participants cannot be in receipt of EI benefits;
- In accordance with funding requirements, priority in hiring will be given to youth facing barriers to finding and keeping employment.
- Program Time: Monday to Friday- 2 pm- 8 pm
- Program Duration: Each session runs for 18 weeks at a time
- Program Location: 84 Frederick Street, Kitchener, On
- Bus Pass, work uniform, and dinner are included.
Session 1: Starts August 6th, 2019
Session 2: Starts December, 2019 (Date TBD)
Session 3: Starts May, 2020 ( Date TBD)
Eight participants will be selected to participate during each intake period. To apply for the program please complete the following two steps. If you need assistance, please contact us.
- Step 1: Complete our online registration form at https://forms.gle/uZDh2fKpKd9mbQof9
- Step 2: Once your registration form has been received participants will be contacted to schedule a follow up meeting to talk further about their application and receive a tour of the In Her Shoes retail store and work space.
For more information contact:
Jennifer Gordon Director of Youth Services & Entrepreneurship
Phone: 519-576-8856 x 215